Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Back to School!


Yes this post is very late.... but hey, it's the story of my life at this point I suppose. :)
Carter is entering the second grade and has Mrs. Titheringon which I could not be happier about. She is a sweet older woman who (as rumor has it) is a little disorganized but is sweet and loves teaching and the children. She also reportedly doesn't yell which is always a plus and will be a change from his teacher last year, Mrs. Fite. Don't get me wrong, she is a lovely woman, but could and did get overwhelmed quite a bit. Not that I totally blame her. With 28 young children in one small classroom... enough to make anyone a bit nuts.




Anyways, Carter has been enjoying getting to school on his scooter and sometimes to mix things up, his 2-wheeler. He convinced Bryce to ride along with him and I drive by slowly in the van. When we reach the corner just before the crossing guard, we say good-bye to Carter and Bryce hops in the van to head off to preschool.



We are at a new preschool this year with Bryce trying to un-do some of the damage done last year. He did not have a good experience and more than once I left him crying after I pried his arms from around my neck or leg. Broke my heart! I am not sure if it was the kids, the teachers, the huge age gap (not quite 3 yr olds- Bryce at 4 in Sept after a week of school... which is crazy btw...), but it was not a good combination which is so sad to me b/c preschool is a time to be excited about learning. To have a positive experience your first time away from home and it just did not happen at Ashton Christian Preschool.







So this year, we are back at Creative Learning Center where Carter used to go. I have full confidence in the teachers Mrs. Pascoe, and Mrs. Splain as they were Carter's teachers when he went there. Also the director is awesome as well. It felt warmer and "safer."




So far, so good. Most of our mornings have been "I don't want to go to school, I want to stay home with you," but there have been no tears or tantrums. He always seems happy when I pick him up. So I am hopeful that through positive repetition, he will continue to be more confident and comfortable away from home and meeting new friends and trying new things.
I do miss them though, and I know Aubryn does too. She walks around the house after dropping off Bryce (b/c she is used to him being home with her while Carter was at school last year), "Biish.... we-ah-oo? Hmmmm...." with her little hand palm up and a confused face with crinkled brows. It's cute... and sad. But it'll give us time to bond just us girls. :)

1 comment:

Blair & Kristen Heward said...

Those two boys of yours are so adorable. I'm glad Bryce is liking pre-school better this year. That's so cute about Aubryn walking around looking for Bryce. I can totally see it! Keep up the awesome work! Give those kids a big hug from aunt Kristen!