Saturday, April 4, 2009

Outer Banks retreat


Last weekend, we had the opportunity to go with four other families to North Carolina to the Outer Banks. It's SO beautiful there. The weather was beautiful at 65 degrees and there was practically no one else there which made it even better. It poured the whole 5 1/2 hr drive there and was supposed to rain the entire time. I'm so glad the weather man is wrong the majority of the time! :)
Sat. morning right after breakfast we walked the 2 blocks to the beach. It started out overcast and chilly, but by 10:30 or so warmed up a lot so the kids could just wear their suits and t shirts. We even got burned a bit. The water was FREEZING! When my feet touched, it stung! Why is it that kids can't feel that? Or is it they ignore it? Either way, the kids were wet up to their waists (maybe numb?). They had a blast!
(Run boys run!)




(making a sand castle)


(I see Baywatch in Brady's future...)

(uhhh...did I mention Bryce was potty trained now? He was dancing around screaming, "potty! me potty!" and we told him to go in the sand at the edge of the beach. He was too nervous to go, so good ole big brother showed him how it was done.)

(the boys better side)
I even tried my hand at running. Well, kind of walking with a bounce because I was so slow. But I really loved it! It was beautiful as I ran along the surf with a gentle warm breeze. Not hot, not cold. Perfect! I was impressed with myself. I ran and ran and ran... or wogged, and wogged and wogged... (my mom's word for a combination of jog and walk). It was refreshing, and gave me time to meditate, contemplate, clear my mind and pray. What a beautiful creation the Lord has made for us, His children!
Brady enjoyed himself that afternoon paint balling with all the other menfolk. The women went out that night for dinner.
Sunday, we went to church and then to the sand dunes. It was SO WINDY! The sand hurt and it pelted against face and neck. We walked backwards for the most part to get to the hill and then once we arrived, and ran a little bit down, the sand went over the hill so wasn't so bad. Brady and I took turns holding Bryce who kept whining "owie, windy day!" Carter braved the wind and ran and jumped down the hill. Check out these pictures...

(running like the wind, in the wind)

(It felt like I was flying. I loved it!)

(Carter running down the dunes. Go Carter go!)

(Bryce hiding from the wind)
What a great vacation!

No comments: