Friday, April 3, 2009

PLEASE READ- Important rule for all women to know (although should know already)

Two weeks since the question was asked. Two weeks later, still not quite over it.
At church, a woman (who has kids mind you) came up to me with a big smile on her face and leans in close. Thinking I'm going to hear a super secret, I lean a little closer to her as well. She whispers with a little smile, "are you pregnant?" as if she is on to me and my secret. I immediately pull away, look at her and say, "no, I'm just fat."
She then starts rambling, trying to dig herself out of the hole she's dug. "oh, no, it's just that I am noticing every ones belly around me, because it's just something I am aware of on myself, so, and... uh..."
I start to walk away as she is kind of chasing after me trying to make it right. As if anything she could say or do at that moment would take away the embarrassment, and hurt I felt. I tune back into the rambling and hear something like how I've been looking tired lately too so it's not just the "pooch."
Seriously?!? This is supposed to be making it better?? "STOP TALKING!!!" I want to scream. Instead, I tell her, I'm on my period. So perhaps I do look a little bloated and I'm always tired. Didn't really plan on sharing that personal information that day, but hey, now you know my cycle.
So, to everyone out there- women especially.... here is the cardinal rule, if you really don't know it already. NEVER ask a woman if she is pregnant unless the baby's head is beginning to crown. Really and truly. Never. No exceptions.
In her defense, she is 10 weeks pregnant so hyper aware of belly's and probably looking for someone to buddy up with and be pregnant with which I get. But still, refer back to the rule. Never deviate from the rule. If you do, you might get a rambling person who is still upset about it two weeks after the stupid comment was made.

1 comment:

Brady said...

Sorry Honey, Doesn't look like anyone wants to touch this topic. Maybe they know not even to mess with this topic?