Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Happy 4th of July!

(both boys fell asleep on the way back to the house on the boat. This pic is just after they woke up and realized we were back, so that's what's up with the sleepy, where am I eyes).

We went to Deep Creek Lake this year again for the 4th, and it was cold and rainy... again. At least this time on the fourth it was more cold than rainy so fireworks were not cancelled like they were last year. It was so fun to watch them from the back of the boat and the fireworks were really good. I was impressed! Why go through the chaos of DC again?
(My mom, Brian and Carter up front on the way to fireworks).
(watching fireworks from the back of the boat).

(Sparkler fun)!


Brady and my brothers Matt and Brian all went tubing in the freezing, wavy lake. They like to have competitions on who can stay on the tube the longest so they try to push or kick each others tubes in addition to the crazy high waves that were sending them flying. Crazy boys.
They kids love to drive the toy motor boats in the little pool and go on boat rides to the creamery for ice cream cones.
At one point on the way to see fireworks, we almost had a casualty. Sheepie. One of our own. It was so windy he went flying off the boat. Luckily I noticed just a bit later and shouted to my dad to stop and turn around. After driving back with big eyes, I finally found him. His little head floating just above the surface of the cruel, cold water fighting to stay alive in the middle of that big ole lake. My family was laughing at me as I almost fell in to rescue poor sheepie. I missed the first time (I think my mom was hold my foot to prevent me from falling in off the front of the boat but also impeding my rescuing ability). I shouted to Brady to run to the back b/c "I missed him! I missed him!" and ran back as well. I told Brady as we were looking for him to come up the other side, if he missed, I was jumping in. And I was serious. Brady was the hero of the day and grabbed soaking sheepie and gave him CPR. WHEW!
(hero in action)
After that, I put on a life jacket in the case of another emergency, we could spot him easier and he wouldn't sink.

This might seem a little much for some readers out there. I assure you, it's not. We've even bought him a new sheepie- exactly like the old one. Except this one has paws that have not been sewn back on 50 times, and is actually white and doesn't have little holes/tears in his paws that I can't sew. He doesn't like the impostor. He knows his best friend. Sigh. The things we do for our kids.

When we got back from fire works on the boat, Matt and Brian (after driving to PA the day before to spend too much on fireworks) put on their own show. It was actually pretty impressive and I can't believe they sell those fire starters! Has no one read the book, "Follow my leader???" I must have referenced that book a million times throughout the course of the weekend. Does any one listen to me? No? But did anyone lose their eye sight and need a 'seeing dog?' No. But it would have served them right. Okay, I don't really mean that last part.
(Carter watching the loud home show).
All in all, it was a great weekend. I love this country that we live in and am grateful for our freedoms and the men and women who have fought and fight for us to have that great gift in this wonderful land. God bless America!

5 comments:

Brady said...

That sums up our last experience at the lake pretty well...I really thought you would jump in the lake after sheepie so I really had to strain to get him myself...almost pulled my hip again! BTW, Matt if you're reading this, you know I was the tubing champion that day.

Chantel said...

That is so funny about sheepie. We can totally relate. Max has a blanket that we lost one time and I almost called 911. I stopped breathing for a second and panic took over my body!! I am glad sheepie was OK. We too have a "back up" blanket that we had made out of the SAME fabric his blanket is made out of and he wont touch it.

ashley said...

Okay, sometimes people exaggerate when they say that something made them laugh.......but I'm SERIOUS. I sat here and laughed as looked at little Brycie and his little buddy Sheepie in their life vests. Oh, I just about died. (Well, that last part is exaggerated. For effect, of course.) Cute little mommy to the rescue.

Oh, and can we come out there and ride the boat and stay with you guys at your beach house or whatever the heck that second home is called?? I know you have offered and there is no take-backs. And when you read my blog and commented about that girl that mentioned moving to AZ......she was talking about PA school, and no we haven't heard. She was just hoping. And actually, I was at the doctor today (yes the OB, but no I'm not pregnant!!!!! I promise. Hahaha) and we were talking about PA school and she asked where my first pick was and I told her, "Ooooh, out of all the schools, I'd love to pick up and move right out to Pennsylvania. There's so much out there." Yes folks, it's official.......I'm not just saying that I want to go to PA to make my east coast friend happy. I really want to go there. So maybe you can start praying your little heart out that we get in. (Our applications are in and now we just wait. Cross those fingers.)

Was that officially the longest comment ever? Maybe because we haven't talked in a long time and there's always so much to say and so much sarcasm to try and mash in there too. Dang.

Terri said...

I am so gladd sheepie is safe!! Cute, Cute pictures and Christy, you should write a book. seriously.

Terri said...

I am so gladd sheepie is safe!! Cute, Cute pictures and Christy, you should write a book. seriously.