Tuesday, September 8, 2009

What to say...?

What is one supposed to say when walking along minding my own business and a neighbor asks first, "how are you feeling?" as if I just recovered from a major surgery or accident. Feeling actually pretty good today having worked out this morning by choice and not being paid to teach, I respond, "good. I'm doing well, thanks."
This is then followed by, "you look miserable."
Seriously??!
Good thing she didn't catch me on a day when I actually felt miserable. In fact I had just showered and rested a bit before seeing this neighbor. Hmmm... do I really look that bad? Maybe it's time to start wearing make-up on a regular basis and not just for church? Nah. She was probably just referring to my ever growing baby belly. And yeah, at 6 months, one might develop a swagger of sorts (okay, it's really more of a waddle, but still...). And yeah, I have 9 pound babies and this being the third, I'm showing sooner and bigger. Does this really warrant such a comment?
Although, I suppose I should keep in mind that this is the same neighbor who asked me when I was due when I had already delivered Bryce about 6 weeks prior.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Oh my, why do some people even open their mouths? Weird.

Emily Petty said...

oh dear Christy! just ignore all the idiots in the world - it's so strange that women make these comments to each other - you can almost excuse it in a man - they're clueless, but you'd think women would have a better idea.