Monday, June 8, 2009

"What kind of dog do you have?"

"We don't have a dog" is the answer to the question asked to Carter by random neighbor-people as he hands out dog bones to each dog he sees pass our house- (or within eye distance of our house). Seriously, today, he ran after a woman and her dog (no, I didn't know them and yes I'm serious) and shouts, "excuse me lady! Excuse me lady!!" (Bryce running after him to keep up) And when she finally slows down, looks at him perplexed and he asks if he can give her dog a milk bone. This is usually when they question, "what kind of dog do you have?" comes about and the reply, "we don't have a dog, these are for the dogs in the neighborhood."

Great, now we are not only "the Popsicle house" (have I told that story before)? But now we are also the "milk bone house" with no dogs. I get the Popsicle thing... Carter and Bryce like Popsicles, but I think they like even more to distribute them to the entire neighborhood community- okay, just the kids most of the time, but we've got a lot of kids here in this townhouse area at the end of a cul-de-sac (how the heck to you spell that anyways)???
Anyways, we go through Popsicles like they are going out of style b/c we eat one each day and pass out about 10.
However, we don't have a dog (or any pet for that matter), my kids don't eat milk bones (that I know of) and we have a box of milk bones for the dogs who happen to pass. And if by chance they don't pass, don't be too surprised if my boys appear on your doorstep b/c they know you have a dog and are just not bringing it out at that very moment, but they have a strong need to give it a bone- now.
So, maybe I should have Brady buy stock in Popsicles and bones and we will get our money back? Or maybe it's just more important I teach my kids how good it feels to share and serve others. Well, actually, they are the ones teaching me I guess... I'm just paying for it. :)

4 comments:

chels4g1b said...

I probably totally topped off your day by ringing your door bell and saying. is that your moms dog??? Always remember there is a dog or hampster ready and willing to visit the darrington family=) Hopefullly my kids dont hoard all the pops=)

ashley said...

What a riot! And come on....what dog owner wouldn't just love such a sweet gesture.

Can I have a popsicle? We're always out because Steve consumes them like water.

Emily Petty said...

too cute! we can't wait to visit with you guys!

Tara said...

That is so funny that you buy dog bones--Halle would be in HEAVEN. We'll have to come for another visit just to get in on the dog bone action :)