Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Follow up

So today was the day we've all been waiting for since Bryce broke his arm and had surgery 11 days ago. The hard cast is on. WHEW! After putting the pins in his arm, they put a splint on him to allow for swelling which was softer and had open areas. We kept it elevated as much as possible, but on day 5 after reading and movies, we were both Barney-ied out. He started feeling better around that time resulting in him wanting to climb, run and jump like our typically Brycie. I was glad he was feeling better but at the same time he was giving me a heart attack.

Today, we went to Annapolis for the follow up. After driving over an hour and Bryce saying "no doctor" a lot of the time, we finally go there. The splint was removed and I was surprised to see all the crusted fluid and pins sticking out farther than I anticipated. (The taped part is covering the line of stitches where his incision was made. They will dissolve in time)
We went and got it x-rayed and then casted. The doctor says it looks really good and perfectly aligned. We won't know about the growth plates for another 6 months or so through the x-rays and we'll know in 3-4 weeks when the cast comes off how it healed and will determine than if rehab is needed and if the bone was able to live and have blood flow through it again. Fingers crossed!

(Our tough little man showing off his new "boo" (blue) cast. It goes from the palm of his hand all the way up to his shoulder).

Bryce was so brave throughout the whole process. Following his x-rays while he was still on the table, I put the weighted belt over sheepie to pretend his arm needed to have it's "picture taken" too to keep Bryce occupied while the tech was reading the films and seeing if she got what the Dr. needed. He would hold up sheepies arm and say, "k shee-hee no move k?" Then I would make a click sound like the picture had been taken. He would then grab sheepies face, look him in the eyes and say, "yay! shee-hee, did it! Brabe (brave) shee-hee!" and then gave him a hug and kiss. So cute~! And then of couse go on to suck on one of his satin paws... That thing is well loved! So much so, it's time to sew the bottom portion of a paw back on!

4 comments:

Rusty and Tara said...

I am so glad the hard cast is on. I bet you were just on pins and needles the whole time with him running around in a splint. And aren't kids resilient? They bounce back so quick. I love the sheepie getting x-rays--so cute! And we're praying everything is all right with the blood vessels and growth plate!
Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow!+

Melissa said...

Hey Christy! I just saw your blog on Ashleys so I hope you don't mind me adding your blog to my list! Your boys are so adorable and you look so good! I hope all is going well and that you had a wonderful thanksgiving!!!

Chantel said...

That poor kid! I hope he gets feeling better soon.

ashley said...

OUCH!!!!!! I can't believe all those pins sticking out. Steve was looking over my shoulder, totally intrigued by it all. He made me go back and forth from xray to xray and then to the cast shots. Too funny!! Glad the hard cast is finally on.

And gosh, I got your message last week, but it was past the 45 minute margin you gave me to call you back!! SHoot! And then it was too late. Dang time zones.

Hope you had a relaxing Thanksgiving. We sure did but we're already ready for Christmas.

I'll call you sometime this week.