Saturday, December 6, 2008

What if He didn't have any ears?

Last night during family scripture study, Carter asks some interesting questions. It went like this:
Carter: "how does Heavenly Father hear everyone's prayers?"
Us :He knows each of us and always wants to hear from us, and can listen to our words and our hearts even when we don't say anything outloud.
Carter: "what is Heavenly Father's ears fell off or didn't have any ears?"
Us: He has a perfect body so He does have ears.
Carter: "But what if He didn't or they broke?"
Us: Well, He does have ears, but even if He didn't he could hear us with his heart and mind because He is our Father. He made our spirits.
Carter: "What if He is sleeping?"
Us: He can still hear you no matter what time it is or where you are. All the time.
Carter: "So we just wake Him up?" (while closing his eyes acting like he is waking up groggy...)
Us: I don't know how that works. If he sleeps or is always awake. I do know that no matter when, what time it is, He is always very happy to hear from you so it wouldn't matter to him if you woke Him up. He would just be happy you are talking with Him.
Carter: "oh. I'm stronger than Satan."
Us: We know you are.
Carter: "Because I have big muscles look...(holds out arm to feel his muscle) and Satan has little teeny tiny muscles this big (hold out his fingers in a pinch size saying 'teeny tiny' in a high pitched voice).
Us: Actually, you are a lot stronger than him because you have a body and Satan doesn't. He has NO muscles."
Carter: "None?! Wow!"
Us: Nope, he didn't get a body like we did because we followed Heavenly Fathers plan and he didn't.
Carter: "And Satan sometimes tries to trick me, but I don't let him."
Us: Yeah, me too.
Carter: "Well sometimes I do. Sometimes I push Bryce and squeeze his cheeks really hard and say butt and stupid when Brayden(friend from class)does. I know we don't say that in our family and it's bad words, but I can't stop! Does that mean I can't live in Heaven???" (worried now eyes big).
Us: Of course not. We all make mistakes. Every day. That's what is so great about Jesus being born and then dying for us. We can repent and try again. And as long as we keep on trying we'll be able to go to Heaven and live with Heavenly Father again.
Carter: "When?"
Us: We're not sure. When Jesus comes again.
Carter: For two times?
Us: Yes, because he was already on the earth once. Remember when he was born in Bethlehem and got baptized and taught all the people?
Carter: "Oh yeah. Can I cut out a race track now?"

It's humbling to be answering such big important questions and I hope I answered him right and can always answer his questions. It made me realize I need to do a better job reading scriptures and praying myself. We can't teach what we don't know. I always want to be able to teach my children the ways of the Lord and can only do that if I know the Lord personally like He knows me and search out the holy scriptures that testify of Him and Christ.

1 comment:

ashley said...

Christy..... Thank you! And thank you Carter. What a sweet little boy. And wow, the things he understands already. I think you guys did a great job andwering him and have done a great job with him in general. What good kid.

And good grief, what a hilarious string of "bad" things he has done that he was telling you about and just couldn't stop saying them all. I sat here laughing. What a sweet boy. (He pinches his cheeks really hard??? What a funny way to beat up on Brycie!)