Saturday, March 7, 2009

Parenting poll

So I have a question for all the parents out there. Actually even people who are not parents can answer. (Although I don't think many people read this blog. Maybe I'm boring, maybe I don't have many friends... or both! GASP)
Anyways... it's not that big of a deal but still something I wonder how to respond to. Here is the situation:
Carter likes to save his money and buy toys he saves for (or candy/gum when I let him). So that's the thing. "When I let him." Should I have a say what he spends his money on?
He constantly says things like, "I want to buy one for me and one for Bryce, or one for me and one for Uncle Matt or daddy or a friend or everyone in my class"- if it's candy or gum. If he does by one for everyone in class, he's spent his 15 dollars already he's worked so hard to save. Is that okay? I have a hard time letting him do it although I do sometimes.
Today he was browsing the toy store while waiting for new tires to be put on Brady's car. He saw a harmonica and wanted to get one for Bryce too. So he spent his 10 dollars on a five dollar harmonica for him and for Bryce. Here are some pics. It really is sweet and exciting for him to give gifts because gifts is one of Carter's love languages. So is it my issue I need to get over and just let him spend all his money he's worked so hard to earn? Feedback please!
Carter almost more excited than Bryce for him to open the gift he bought him).
(making beautiful "music" together)

2 comments:

Tara said...

I think it's actually pretty awesome that he wants to spend his money on other people. And he knows how hard it is to earn the money, so if he's willing, I say totally let him do it! He'll probably grow up to be a pretty charitable guy.

ashley said...

Gosh I love that kid. But really, maybe he works that hard to be able to spend his money on other people....because he loves it so much. And if giving gifts to someone else means more to him than saving up for the perfect bike or whatever........I say let him. He probably likes how he feels while giving gifts to others MORE than how he feels while riding a new bike that he has saved for.

It would still be hard to see that money go but gosh, the selflessness he is learning right now.......