Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Snow white


So we had our own "Snow white" experience over here today. We got this awesome blender yesterday at Costco with an awesome price tag attached. It blends up marbles, rocks, metal... which is perfect since that is what I typically make smoothies out of. It also blends up fruit with the skins and their seeds. The man selling the product was talking about how nutritious watermelon and cantaloupe seeds are and how great the inner most part of a pineapple is for you (the part we usually don't eat). We make smoothies at least once a day- especially Brady. He is the smoothie king and I can always count on being ready for bed at 11pm when he decides he has to have a yogurt shake. He made a big deal about it saying shakes and smoothies are his favorite all time thing and he usually isn't that passionate or opinionated about anything! So, I figured this would be a nice surprise for him (and me too since it makes bread by grinding grain and even soups!)
After bringing it home yesterday afternoon, we made our fourth smoothie this afternoon with lunch. I put in spinach leaves, flax seed, yogurt, strawberries (with stems on) and an apple. A WHOLE apple. The seeds are especially nutritious right???
So, I'm telling my mom all about how cool this blender is and all the nutrition we'll be getting now so and mention our afternoon shake. She says, "the whole apple?" I told her I at least took off the stem first. She said, "I think apple seeds are poisonous." Yeah right I think. Funny mom. But still on the phone, I google it. Google is always right.
So, apple seeds do in fact contain cyanide.
I thought this quote from the google site was fascinating, "At least within the realm of murder mysteries, cyanide is the darling of poisoners because it acts quickly and irrevocably, once a fatal dose has been ingested there is no effective antidote and death takes place within minutes."
Uhhhhh..... oppps.
Well, it said "fatal" dose. One measly gala apple isn't a "fatal" does right?
If this is my last blog, you'll know the answer. Crap. Great, another day goes by when I don't win mother of the year just because I poison my kids.
(quite the resemblance don't ya think? Of course the poision apple I offered was pureed).

5 comments:

Stephanie B said...

My mom has a vitamix and she LOVES it! They use it all the time. That means you can still have your smoothies when you go to FL in May. Woo-hoo.

Tara said...

as always, laughing so hard right now. I've always wanted one of those things....

And I am very impressed with the pads on the fan....how in the heck did they do that?? Is that what I have to look forward to with 2 boys???

Chantel said...

I am busting a gut!! We have the Vita-mix and LOVE it. I did not know about apple seeds and my husband is a pediatrician! Hope you live :)

Emily Petty said...

Wow!I had no idea about the apple seeds!! Here in Germany, I've seen several people eat an entire apple - the whole thing, seeds and all - the only thing they don't eat is the stem - I think they're still alive. Is it the quantity? Bryce as Dumbo is hilarious!

Mandy said...

I hope you and your kids are alive to read this comment! :) I'm sure we've all fed our kids worse! I loved the pads on the fan post....classic! :)