Monday, January 5, 2009

Therapy

I know, intriguing title huh? What could this mean? Have the Darringtons finally admitted they need help? Is Christy doing therapy with her social work degree? No, and no. Bryce is going to start occupational therapy. We had another follow-up today with the pediatric orthopedic surgeon. After waiting over an hr in the waiting room (due to a 'computer glitch' that didn't have us scheduled in the computer) we finally got x rayed and assessed. After the hour of waiting, I decided I was done waiting. I might have been a little more impatient that my toddler at that point. I went back up to the desk and told them I was done waiting. I was wondering if I could be seen or if I could reschedule because it was way past nap time (as evidenced by Bryce laying on the floor rolling around next to me whining and sucking on his sheepie) and I needed to pick up my other son soon. They got me in the next available room. Which leads me to wonder, how long would I have waited out in the waiting room had I not said something?? After waiting 20 minutes in the room, the doctor came in and apologized for the 'mistake in scheduling' and bumped me up to be next in line for x rays. I hate x rays. Probably more than Bryce does. Poor thing sitting on my lap, saying "no, no, no!" keeping his arm close to his body refusing to straighten it out on the table like instructed. Finally after promises of ice cream or cookies and gumballs (yes, I know he is only 2), he finally straightens it as much as he can which at this point is in between 90 degrees like it was casted and completely straight. The x ray tech forces it to straighten more than Bryce is ready for and the tears and sweating begins. One down, two more to go. A little harder to convince him for the next ones, but finally we are done and see the doctor. It has not yet healed completely but it is looking pretty good. It is only about .7mm off. As far as his range of motion, he wasn't as impressed and ordered occupational therapy twice a week for 10 weeks. So, we'll start that as soon as I find a pediatric occupational therapist covered by our insurance accepting new patients and hopefully close to home. Bryce however seems to be doing really well and is in good spirits minus the x rays and doctor assessment. I'll take a picture of his arm and attach it when he wakes up and I find the time. But for now, that's all folks.

No comments: